Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Grumpy Old Audience #6

Don't take movie suggestions from friends. Well, rather, at least LOOK INTO the recommended movie before buying it and watching it with your family on Christmas Eve. Don't get me wrong...our good friend J is definitely a great guy. Just...we must keep in mind that our definitions of good movies might be a little...different.

My mother went out and bought two movies: While You Were Sleeping and Grumpy Old Men. The prior was a movie my parents greatly enjoyed and were satisfied they had finally purchased. The latter was a suggested movie by our good friend J.

On this fine Christmas Eve, our family was feeling more bold than usual. We decided to watch Grumpy Old Men. Boy were we in for a treat...

The plot consisted of two...older men with a bizarre friend/enemy relationship (with their bickering, whining, complaining and grumpiness at it's max). It takes a young lady moving in to a vacant home in their town to change their lives and build their relationships with one another.

So we're watching it, right? After our repetitious questions of "what is this movie about?", we find (along with the grumpiness) a whole slur of profanities issued out by the characters. I really got caught up in the bitterness of all this and as I looked around me, the pillow aside of me became a bother, my dog's few noises become monotonous, and the occasional reflection of the TV was a trial and tribulation.

I had to take a step back to realize that this Geezer Napoleon Dynamite film wasn't making much sense. Questionable morals, profane language and the irrefutable thought of watching a movie with old guys on the screen every other second made us question J's suggestion.
After it ended cheesily, predictably, and unsettlingly, (AND after the crass bloopers during the credits; which we ended up fast-forwarding), we determined that this would be a movie worth skipping for next year.

During our family's...surprised reaction to this movie as a whole, I chimed in, "And you know what the best part is? Now that we've purchased it, we can watch it over and over again!"

At this point we're considering either throwing it in the trash compactor or asking if J wants it. I think it was the Curse-Free TV thingamajig that Dad set up that saved us. Blanking out what it did, I think, really did us good. I think we're now ready to watch While You Were Sleeping: something we KNOW we'll enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. While I agree this isn't a great movie, Matthau and Lemon are one of the all time great screen (or stage) pairings. It's fun to watch them together in almost anything. Maybe try this one? --> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063374/

    ReplyDelete