Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Number Nine #2

Here are some fascinating facts about the number 9. I'm sure most of you don't think too much of it: it's not quite 10, therefore it falls short of expectations. I thought that way, anyway until I did some research on this item.

"Nine (九 pinyin jiǔ) is considered a good number in Chinese culture because it sounds the same as the word "longlasting" ( pinyin jiǔ)."

However....

"The Japanese consider 9 to be unlucky because it sounds similar to the Japanese word for "pain" or "distress" ( kunrei ku)."

What a controversial number! For some reason, nine becomes interesting.

"The number 9 is revered in Hinduism and considered a complete, perfected and divine number because it represents the end of a cycle in the decimal system, which originated from the Indian subcontinent as early as 3000 BC."

Although I am not a Hindu myself, I'm going to use 9 as a linear number in this blog. I'll also put 9 posts per page...

Oh! I almost forgot to mention the most important nine fact of all: there were nine seasons in the TV series Seinfeld. When Jerry Seinfeld chose to end the show, it was at it's peak. He decided to end the show with a marvelous ending: good for him.

And it's all thanks to the number nine. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Interesting... Speaking of the number nine, here is a hugely hysterically hilarious anecdote: German boy talks to German girl
    Boy:Hi! Will you tell me your phone number?
    Girl: 999-9999
    Boy: Ok! Sorreee! You don't have to get so huffy about it!

    Get it??!!!!! Hahahahahahaha!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a killer, Knute!! I'd sure like to see the look on that German boy's face while he says that!

    ReplyDelete